Dr. Joel Ying … storyteller, educator, physician.
Dr. Joel practices integrative and holistic medicine in Naples, Florida. After starting his private practice, he joined Toastmasters International to improve his public speaking skills.
The first time that he heard a storyteller, the “magic of story” captivated him with the ability to connect and inspire. When he told his first story, he discovered a hidden talent that he did not know he had. Since then, it has been full steam ahead to bring the ancient oral tradition of storytelling back to life in a modern form.
In 2015, he began performing locally with Storytellers of the Round Table at Brambles Tea Room. He has produced and performed in multiple storytelling showcase events, notably “StorySlam: An Evening of Storytelling” at Sugden Theatre in 2016 and “The Elephant: Stories You’ll Never Forget” in April 2017. He enjoys finding and encouraging new talent with the production of new events. Attending festivals, workshops, other storytelling performances, he continues to hone his own craft of story.
In this Age of Information, it is not the data but the stories that captivate, inspire, and motivate us.
Join Dr. Joel as he spins his tales, tall and short, true and false, folk and myth. Book him for an event. Join him in a course. Just say hello.
Calendar of events: opendreaming.com/storytelling-events
Medical Practice: JoyHealthWellness.com
Blog, Newsletter, Courses: LivingthePresentMoment.com
- Tea & Tales at Brambles Tea Room, Naples, FL, by Storytellers of the Round Table
2nd Thursdays, Oct – May. Seasonal stories.
- PERFORMANCE: “Legacy of Love”, Tea&Poets, Miami, FL
Tue Feb 13, 7pm – 8:30pm.
Register at LegacyofLoveTeaandPoets.eventbrite.com
- PERFORMANCE: “Legacy of Love”, FRINGE of the Florida Storytelling Festival
Fri Apr 13, 9:15pm – 10pm.
Register at flstory.com for the entire Festival or just the Fringe!
- The Elephant#2: A Storytelling Showcase Event, Alliance for the Arts, Ft Myers, FL
Wed Jan 31, 2018, 7pm-9pm.
- The Elephant#3: A Storytelling Showcase Event, Sugden Theatre, Naples, FL
Mon Apr 23, 2018, 7pm – 9pm
- Online Workshop: The Personal Story: Touching Hearts, Changing Minds
Visit calendar for more details on upcoming and prior events.
Bring a Storytelling Performance to your venue:
His storytelling repertoire includes:
- Billy the Best Friend, a tall tale that might be true
- The Box, personal story
- The Teacher, personal story
- Love or Money, personal story
- Skeleton Woman, Inuit folk tale, adapted from Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- The Weeping Willow by Sheila Arnold Jones, modern folk tale
- Joe and the Guru, fractured tale of the search for a guru
- The Marriage Boulder, modern folk tale adaptation
- The Man With No Luck, Irish folk tale
- The Search for Truth, fractured folk tale
- The Gift of the Magi by O’Henry (1905), literary story adapted for telling
- The Monkey’s Paw by W. W. Jacobs (1902), literary story adapted for telling
- The Stonecutter, Asian folk tale
- The Spring of Youth, Asian folk tale
- The Emperor’s New Clothes: A Story of Fashion, fractured folk tale
- Louise Bennett: A National Treasure of Jamaica, historical narrative
- Anansi and the Snake, folk tale from Jamaica
- The Rich Man and the Lazy Son, folk tale (4 min)
- There’s Nobody Here, ghost story (3 min)
- The Story of Kumbaya (historical story)
- Legacy of Love (personal story)
- Pandora’s Box (Greek mythology)
- The Midas Touch (Greek mythology)
- Deadalus and Icarus (Greek mythology)
- The Graveyard (Spooky story)
- The Story of Santa Claus, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
- …. and more … he’s always working on new stories!
Click here to listen to stories online.
- Telling Your Story: Touching Hearts, Changing Minds
Dec 1, 2017. 7pm – 9pm (Office of Dr. Joel)
- The Personal Story
Nov 2017 (Kindred Spirits Retreat, Argyll, Scotland)
- The Personal Story: Touch Hearts, Changing Minds
Aug 2016, Naples, FL (Toastmaster Academy)
- Emotions & Speaking
2015 Tampa, FL (Toastmasters District 48 Conference)
Sep 2015 (Toastmasters Academy)
- Art of Listening (& Evaluations)
2014 Naples, FL (Toastmasters Academy)
- Storytellers of the Round Table (Group performing & producing storytelling events, since 2014)
- Naples Storytelling Guild (Founder & Member, storytelling guild, since 2016)
- Tamiami Tale Tellers (Member, storytelling guild, since 2015)
- Florida Storytelling Association (Member since 2016)
Attendance at Festivals & Workshops:
- National Storytelling Festival, Jonesborough, TN 10/2015, 10/2016, 10/2017
- Florida Storytelling Festival. Mt Dora, FL 4/2016, 4/2017 (Florida Stage Storyteller)
- Donald Davis (Mt Dora, FL 4/2016)
- Bill Lepp (Naples, FL 2016, 2/2017)
- Kim Weitkamp (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Carmen Agra Deedy (Naples, FL 2016; Lehi, UT 9/2017)
- Kaye Byrnes (Naples, FL 2016)
- Ann Randolf (Jonesborough, TN 10/2016)
- Geraldine Buckley (Naples, FL 1/2017)
- Tim Lowry (Mt Dora, FL 4/2017)
- Stone Soup Storytelling Festival. Woodruff, SC. 4/2017 (New Voice Teller)
- Elizabeth Ellis (Naples, FL 6/2017)
- Timpanogos Storytelling Festival, Lehi, UT 9/2017